11.23.2010

Would Someone Please Pass Me Some More God?

We are two days away from Thanksgiving. Even if I didn't know this fact I would have caught on while shopping in the grocery store today and watching the mass of people at the deli counter waiting for their turkeys and stocking up on canned pumpkin and cranberries.

It is amazing to think of all this food that will be sitting on tables waiting to be devoured and then stuffed into tupperware (usually to never be opened again until they are growing penicillin and opened months later because there is a dire need for more tupperware). I couldn't help but think about the word "Thanksgiving" as I strolled up and down the grocery store aisles. I didn't feel very "thankful" today, but instead I felt "distracted". Distracted by the to-do list; buy groceries, clean house, run errands, etc. Don't get me wrong, I understand these things need to get done eventually, but even if I didn't have the turkey, the cranberries, the pumpkin pie, would it still feel like "Thanksgiving?"

I decided to look up the definition of Thanksgiving so I went to dictionary.com and typed in 't-h-a-n-k-s-g-i-v-i-n-g' and I wanted to share this with you:

thanks-giv-ing:
–noun
1. the act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, esp. to god.
2. an expression of thanks, esp. to God.
3. a public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor or kindness.
4. a day set apart for giving thanks to God.
5. ( initial capital letter ) Thanksgiving Day.

I am intrigued and love the portions of the definition that state "especially to God". 
To state what I am thankful for only comes from God for he is everything good and holy, so I'll give credit to the one who deserves it all. My relationship with God has been strengthened these past few months of uncertainty with my career (or lack there of) and travel back to Ethiopia, but in my weakness he gave me his strength and has peeled back layer after layer of my old self to reveal himself through me. The words fail me for he is that great and that good! 
4. A day set apart for giving thanks to God.
I don't want there to be just one day of giving thanks to God. Maybe one day where I stuff myself full of turkey and pie, but of praising my God? Never. I would love to hear someone say, "Pass" on the jello pudding this year and instead ask, "Could someone please pass me some more God? I can't get enough!" haha
I'm thankful that I won't be having jello for Thanksgiving!
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with
praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
Psalm 100:4-5



No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels