11.05.2010

Thanks but No Thanks Pottery Barn

I love eggnog. I love it even more in my coffee. I ran out of half & half so I substituted with eggnog this morning.

Yes, eggnog is in full supply at your local grocery store. When I saw it on the shelf last week I thought I heard music playing and my eyes zeroed in on the half gallon. Some people don't like eggnog. Why? It's dee-lish-us.

Yum. Steaming cup of coffee with eggnog.

Eggnog also reminds me of Christmas. However, I feel much different about this Christmas than I have in years past. I'm disgusted in a way. Disgusted in a way that I want to tear up Christmas displays at stores (think of the image of Jesus overturning tables in the temple courts in disgust of how the temple had been turned into a market John 2:15). Perhaps this is a bit drastic and maybe I can blame it on the six holiday seasons that I worked for a national retailer and getting to hear for months the 4th quarter statistics and goals. While working for a national retailer there were $$ signs in the eyes of every employee and guests were walking doll-uh bills ($$). I don't want to be "preachy", because really, I am just like everyone else. I have gotten wrapped up in giving out of the sake of "giving" and never truly enjoying it. I'm disgusted with myself. I am saddened that I do not know the full meaning of Christmas any more. (Did I ever?)

When someone says the word "Christmas" images of cookies, and Christmas trees, and hot cocoa come to mind. I want to experience Christmas for the wonder that it truly is. This year, I want to understand Christmas on a whole new level. I want to:
1) worship fully
2) spend less and serve more
3) Give more - my time, encouragement (not necessarily gifts)
4) Love all

I have many ideas that I want to do this Christmas since this is the first Christmas that I will be spending with my side of the family since 2005. Not only is it special for that simple fact, but I want to celebrate this Christmas in a radically different way - a way that truly gives God all the glory and honor and changes me from the inside out.

This Christmas I have a few goals:
- In lieu of others giving me gifts, I would prefer those to give to Project Ethiopia. (I will have more information in the next week on how to do so with up-to-date reports on where that money is being spent and who is benefiting from the gift.)
- I will be encouraging others to do the same - to ask for gifts to be given to benefit those who have less. I promise you that you will never regret giving.
- Give meaningful gifts. The gifts I do give away must be handmade by either myself or from a third world artisan who benefits from fair trade.

Will you join me?

My mailbox has been full of magazines from stores who want to pocket my money and take away the real meaning of Christmas. Pottery Barn had this on their front cover:

Give Joyfully - yeah, I plan on it!


"Give Joyfully"

Yep, I plan on doing that this year...just not from the pages of their catalogs or from the shelves of their stores.

I feel like a kid again on Christmas day - the anticipation and excitement is bubbling over with uncovering the true meaning. And you know what? I think it will taste even better than eggnog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels