11.25.2010

Distractions

I receive (on average) three magazines in the mail every day. They range from children clothing magazines (why?), Victoria's Secret (why?), Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, woodworking, art supplies, and the list goes on. 90% of them are never opened and flipped through but, instead, are immediately placed in the bright blue recycling container on my back porch.

I find it sad to think of all that went into making the magazine(s) (money, supplies, time and labor, etc) and that it never lived up to its true potential: to distract me into thinking that I "need to have this and this and this and this..."

I am having a difficult time with distractions lately. Instead of praying, I get lost in thinking what I need to get done for the day. Instead of researching ways to help raise money for Ethiopia, I think of other organizations that are working on sustainable aid and gaze through their websites. Instead of winding down for the day with a project I am working on (lately it's been embroidery), I turn on a movie.

Distractions are a test, a way of practicing discernment. Therefore, if this is a test, I have failed, but I'm still able to retake the test (yes!) and (hopefully) pass with flying colors. When I find my heart and thoughts not at rest or peace, I know it is time to do a self-check and ask God to give me his heart and for his will to be done in my life day-by-day.

Today is Thanksgiving and I don't want (or need) any other distractions but I just need to enjoy the moments here and now with my family. This is why we all love this day so much - no distractions. It's just a time for us to be with family and friends communing with one another with a feast - simple and straightforward, just as our lives should be...with no distractions.


No distractions here
Minnesota - Summer 2010

What are distractions in your life? Can you throw them out like the countless magazines that litter your mailbox?

I am your servant; give me discernment.
Psalm 119:125

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels